New Jersey Devils rookie Jack Hughes and the June draft overall first pick made his pre-season debut with NHL on Monday night. New Jersey won the game 4-3 over Boston Bruins in a highly contested game. Hughes exhibited his prowess scoring twice including the winning goal in the overtime.
Connor Carrick and Jesper Bratt also scored for Devils. Goalie Cory Schneider made 17 saves on 18 shots before being replaced by Gilles Senn. Senn was credited the win after stopping 14 of 16 balls he faced.
Jack Studnicka, Chris Wagner and Oskar Steen scored for Boston. Studnicka goal tied the game 3-3 with 50 seconds remaining in regular time. Goalie Dan Vladar allowed four goals on 14 shots, but Kyle Keyser allowed no goal in 17 shots.
The other Devils squad played in Montreal against Canadiens. Canadiens won 4-2 over the Devils, and Jake Evans scored the winning goal in the third period. Artturi Lehkonen, Nate Thomson and Nick Cousins scored for Montreal. Cayden Primeau and Carey Price shared goal tending responsibility; Price allowed one goal on nine shots while Primeau allowed one goal in 17 shots.
McLeod and Will Butcher scored for the Devils. Mackenzie Blackwood allowed two goals in 13 shots while in the second period Evans made 11 saves on 13 shots.
Other games played on Monday are:
- Washington Capitals against Chicago Blackhawks; Capitals won 4-3
- New York Islanders won 3-1 over Philadelphia Flyers
- In-State College, Buffalo Sabres won 5-4 over Pittsburgh Penguins
- In Nashville, Tennessee, Predators won 6-3 over Florida Panthers in a split-squad game
- In Dallas, the Stanley Cup defending champion St. Louis Blues won 2-0 over the Stars