ISO 27001 is basically a benchmark standard like many other ISO standards that are given to different organizations when they achieve the optimum level in this benchmark. It is about the specification for an information security management system (ISMS) and was previously known as the ISO/IEC 27001:2005. ISO 27001/IEC 27001:2013 is a framework of different policies and procedure which cover the organization’s legal, physical, and technical information control. As the documents suggest, the ISO 27001 was developed to establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, maintain and finally improve the information security management system of an organization. If a company or an organization is certified with ISO 27001 then the company shows the recognized quality of information security management system globally. There is too much data in a company but to make it more valuable and relevant sense, companies like FutureOn make software to align this data for business interests. Having this certification means that your company’s consumer data in the form of IT is safe in the private and public sector. Businesses have other ISO certifications, but they are not sure about ISO 27001 though because they don’t understand it. Although Information Technology is a field that is not everyone’s cup of tea but here in this article, we have listed a few effective controls that can benefit any oil and gas organization by having an ISO 27001 certification.
- Enable identity and authentication solutions: We live in a modern world where we have the opportunity to use biometric identity locks. There are software protected locks which can only be opened through fingerprints, iris scans, and voice scans. So, one of the most effective controls of ISO 27001 is that it enables authentic identity software which is crucial to keeping the data safe.
- Use appropriate access controls: Just like the biometric scans, most of the oil and gas companies now use the access control. Every employee is given an access card. That card contains the access levels codes and every time the card is used, the main computer room sees the login and logouts. It also allows the company main computer room to keeps the record of its consumption time. In case of a threat, if the IT department of that company revoke the access than the person wouldn’t be able to get authorization and the data will likely to be safe. This access card limits the unwanted people roaming around in your office building. Keeps the circle small and eliminates the threats for any stolen data.
- Implement and use an industry-recommended antimalware solution: It is possible for many big companies to get hacked by cyber terrorists that is why many companies have an antimalware solution for situations like that. This antimalware solution scans all the incoming online traffic on the company’s system and secures the data from any breach.
- Ensure that the system only takes the traffic that is verified: Using a verified website means that there is no harm come browsing this website. The ISO 27001 certified companies use settings that block any harmful or phishing sites that can cause a data breach. Managing data in a big company is difficult that is why big oil and gas companies use digital data management systems made by companies like FutureOn.
- Encrypt all customer data: There is a lot of competition in oil and gas companies. Every company has its competitors and haters which is why companies are concerned to give access only to the right person that is why encryption is used. When you are the right person then you know how to decrypt otherwise it won’t open.
- Review Emergency protocols: Every design and procedure have a weak point that is why companies go through with the emergency drill in which they test their security model to make it more effective.
- Patch all systems and ensure security updates are deployed: After review and emergency drill, the company will be able to detect the flaw or a blind spot that need to be eliminated in the next version. So, keep working on patching the loopholes and apply further upgradation. Update the entire system every now and then to be sharp and unpredictable.
- Implement monitoring and visualization capabilities for security events: The security cameras, biometrics, access pass all of them allow the company to monitor its employees while they are in a building. If an intruder has entered the premises, they will know because of advance security setup in place and can catch him or her.