Google has officially announced that this company uncoupled Google Photos from Google Drive and these two storage services won’t automatically sync photos. So according to this decision, the photos you’ve uploaded to one service and any changes you make to them, no longer reliably show up in the other place.
Google mentioned that it made the change because some people found the relationship confusing.
But if you like having your photos synced, we have found a solution that can help you keep Google Photos and Drive in lockstep. To solve this issue Google has a tool to help you keep the two apps in sync.
Google’s Backup and Sync app
Google’s Backup and Sync app for Windows or Mac can back up photos from your camera, computer or SD card to Google Drive and Photos and then this app will upload a copy of both Google services for you.
Here’s how you set it up:
1. First download Backup and Sync to your PC or Mac If you haven’t already.
2. Follow the install instructions and sign in.
3. Give permission to the application to access your photos.
4. A folder which is called Google Drive will be installed on your computer by this application and then you can drag your photos and documents onto the folder to sync its contents with Google Drive on Google’s servers.
5. If you want to sync other folders on our computer with Drive, just open Backup and Sync preferences and choose the folders you want to be synced, such as Pictures or Documents.
How to copy photos from Google Drive to Google Photos
Another option that is available to move your photos and videos from Drive over to Photos is using the new Google Photos Upload tool. By using this tool any change you make in one spot won’t affect the copy kept in the other spot and it doesn’t sync these duplicate files.
Keep in mind that if you save your photos by using the Original full-resolution setting, these duplicate files will count twice in your Drive storage capacity instead of once and you will need to use Google Photos on your Mac or PC.
Here are the steps:
1. tap Upload icon in the top right corner in Google Photos.
2. tap Google Drive in the menu to copy photos over from Drive.
3. Choose the images you want to copy from Drive and then tap Upload at the bottom right of the window.
Then you will see a message saying your selection is being uploaded to Photos.
How to sync your photos with Google Drive using the Google Photos
To check whether your Google Photos app is syncing with your Google Photos library on Google’s servers you can follow the below instructions.
1. Go to the Google Photos app and then tap the hamburger menu and then tap Settings.
2. Tap Back up & Sync and check if you have toggled it on and you’re backing up to the correct account.
3. You can set other folders on your phone to sync with your Google Photos library in Device Folders.