Google, mother of all Internet companies likely to launch a censored version of their Search Engine in China that will block some websites and search keywords. The plan comes even as China has stepped up scrutiny into business dealings involving U.S. tech firms including Facebook Inc (FB.O), Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Qualcomm Inc (QCOM.O) amid intensifying trade tensions between Beijing and Washington.
Google quit China’s search engine in 2010 and no it is looking to re-enter to China where most of its products are still blocked by Chinese regulations. The Intercept earlier reported Google’s China plans on Wednesday, citing internal Google documents and people familiar with the plans.
The project is code-named “Dragonfly” and has been underway since the spring of 2017, the news website said. Search terms about human rights, democracy, religion and peaceful protests will be among the words blacklisted in the search engine app, which The Intercept said had already been demonstrated to the Chinese government.
The finalised version could be launched in the next six to nine months, pending approval from Chinese officials, it added.