On Tuesday, German prosecutors confirmed that Jerome Boateng had been charged with assault after allegedly attacking his former partner. Proceedings have been opened against the former Germany central defender at the Munich prosecutor’s office for dangerous assault since autumn 2018.
The chief prosecutor, Anne Leiding told AFP-subsidiary SID that charges were brought on February 11, 2019, confirming reports in German media outlets Sueddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) and WDR.
Also, Leiding said the court had not opened the case but had accepted an accessory prosecution from the alleged victim. Prosecutors also confirmed that Boateng was the subject of a separate police investigation into the attack.
Boateng is one of the country’s most successful players, having won the World Cup with Germany in 2014 and the Champions League with Bayern in 2013.
The 31-year-old career has declined in recent months after he was dropped from the national squad earlier this year. Boateng’s relationship with his club has also suffered after he slipped down the defensive pecking order at German league champions Bayern.